Doing Family God’s Way
I. God’s Spirit empowers us to relate and respond to one another in our marriage and family in a way that brings glory to God.
II. God calls the husband to:
a. Lead his wife,
b. Love his wife,
c. Cherish his wife.
III. God calls the wife to:
a. Submit to her husband,
From 1 Peter 3:1-7, Submission does NOT mean:
- A wife is to submit to every man.
- A wife has less value than her husband.
- A wife must agree with everything her husband says.
- A wife is incapable of thinking and making wise choices for herself.
- A wife must avoid efforts to change her husband.
- A wife’s primary source of strength is her husband.
- A wife fears her husband.
Submission is a God-honoring inclination in the heart of a wife to honor and support her husband as he leads the family to fulfill the will of God.
b. Love her husband.
They (older women) are to teach what is good and so train the young women to love their husbands. Titus 2:5
c. Respect her husband.
IV. The primary purpose of marriage is to display the beautiful relationship between Christ and His people.
V. A Word to Singles:
a. The season of singleness is a gift from God enabling one to pursue a deep love-relationship with Jesus. (1 Corinthians 7:32-34)
b. God understands the needs of those who are single again (either through divorce or death) and promises to be present with them and provide for them. (Isaiah 54:5; Genesis 21-8-20)
c. God’s grace heals the hurts and forgives the sins of those who are single again and His word gives guidance to live this day forward in a way that honors Him. (John 8:11; Ephesians 1:7)