I. Being new in Christ, we are to live with a heavenly perspective.
“But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.” Matthew 6:33
“Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.” Romans 12:2
Paul does not mean that we should never think the things upon the earth, but that these should not be our aim, our goal, our master. The Christian has to keep his feet upon the earth, but his head in the heavens. He must be heavenly-minded here on earth and so help to make earth like heaven.
Seek and think – (attention of mind and affection of our heart)
II. Being new in Christ, we are to put to death old, sinful habits.
“For if you live according to the flesh you will die, but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live.” Romans 8:13
“And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.”Galatians 5:24
2. Impurity – evil thoughts and intentions of heart and mind
3. Passion – lust that uses others for self-gratification, led by emotion than God’s truth
4. Evil Desire – craving for evil things
5. Covetousness – greedy heart
6. Idolatry – worship of false gods, in this case sex and stuff, being one’s own God
7. Anger – slowing increasing hatred, abiding emotion seeking revenge
8. Wrath – sudden outburst
9. Malice – wishing evil on others
10. Slander – speech maliciously of someone (Matthew 5:22)
11. Obscene Talk – filthiness of talk (Ephesians 5:4)
12. Lying – When we lie, we are like Satan not God
III. Being new in Christ, we are to put on holy characteristics.
“. . . Put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness.” Ephesians 4:24
1. Compassionate hearts – feeling deeply for others – Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep.
2. Kindness – Good Samaritan, seeking another’s good
3. Humility – putting others before yourself
4. Meekness – willingness to suffer injury instead of inflicting it
7. Love – God-like sacrificial love
1. Does the hope of heaven impact how you live your daily life?
2. What sinful habits do you need to put to death that should not be part of a Christian’s life?
3. What holy characteristic will you consciously put on this week?
4. Have you been made new in Christ?
• Have you died with Jesus?
• Have your been raised with Jesus?
• Are you becoming more like Jesus every day?
• Are you certain you will be with Jesus in heaven?