Words for sin
· transgression – crime, rebellion (falling away)
· sin – guilty of breaking God’s perfect moral standard. We have missed His mark. (failure)
· iniquity – wickedness (perversion)
Words for forgiveness
· forgiven – carry away, take it from us
· covered – Hidden so that God no longer regards the sin
· does not count – does not charge us or impute to us the guilt of our sin
Blessed – how happy!, i.e., a heightened state of happiness and joy
1. When we try to conceal our sins from God, our spirits are crushed.
And no creature is hidden from his sight, but all are naked and exposed to the eyes of him to whom we must give account. Hebrews 4:13
2. God will not let His people be comfortable if they continue in sin, but will bring chastisement to our lives and conviction to our hearts.
And when He [the Holy Spirit] comes, He will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment. John 16:8
3. If we will confess our sins with a contrite heart, God will cleanse us from our sin.
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:9
The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise. Psalm 51:17
4. When our sins are covered by God, we are free to celebrate life in God again.
Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow. Let me hear joy and gladness; let the bones that you have broken rejoice. Psalm 51:7–8
Genesis 3:7-8; 3:21
· Adam & Eve tried to conceal their sin.
· God covered their sin.
Whoever conceals his transgressions will not prosper, but he who confesses and forsakes them will obtain mercy. Proverbs 28:13