For the Lord is a great God, and a great King above all gods. Psalm 95:3
For I know that the Lord is great, and that our Lord is above all gods. Psalm 135:5
The house that I am to build will be great, for our God is greater than all gods. 2 Chronicles 2:5
Polytheism vs. Trinitarian Monotheism
1 Corinthians 8:5-7
· The Bible does not recognize the existence of others "gods"; but that many people worship false gods and that there may be evil, demonic spirits behind the worship of these god hence a certain amount of limited spiritual power.
The Lord vs. Dagon
1 Samuel 5
· The Israelites were walking in disobedience to God and were losing the battles they were fighting. Therefore, they decided to go into battle with the ark of God. They were defeated and the ark was taken.
· Application – We are foolish to think we can walk in disobedience to God and then take him off the shelf when we want him to do something. We belong to Him; He does not belong to us!
The ark was taken by the Philistines and placed beside their god Dagon.
The Lord vs. Baal
1 Kings 18
· Ahab along with his wife Jezebel was one of the most wicked kings Israel ever had. Together, they led Israel to worship the false god Baal. During that time, Elijah, one of the most powerful prophets in the Old Testament, was ministering for the Lord.
· This led to a dual if you will between the prophets of Baal and Elijah.
The Lord vs. Satan
· Satan has been defeated by Christ’s death and resurrection. He awaits his eternal punishment. The victory has been won!
Little children, you are from God and have overcome them, for he who is in you is greater than he who is in the world. 1 John 4:4
Men, why are you doing these things?. . . You should turn away from these vain things to a living God, who made the heaven and the earth and the sea and all that is in them. Acts 14:15